Tanjirou Kamado (
Tanjirou has burgundy hair combed back and dark eyes with a scar on the top right of his forehead. He wears long rectangular earrings with a sun symbol and a checkered black and green pattern haori over the standard Demon Hunter uniform.
He carries around a wooden box where Nezuko sleeps during the day.
Tanjirou is kind by nature and has been described by others as having very gentle eyes. He has a great deal of determination and will not give up once he has a goal to achieve, an example being finding a cure for Nezuko. Even though he is relatively strong on his own, he isn't opposed to asking others for help when he needs it. He is very protective of his friends and even more so of his younger sister. His biggest attribute is his ability to empathize with anyone, even demons. This often gives him hesitation when killing demons.
Nezuko is the younger sister of Tanjirou, and the only remaining member of their family each other have left. As such Tanjirou who is usually calm and polite will become enraged and attack anybody who harms Nezuko. He is extremely protective of her but that doesn't prevent him from getting her help during battles that he can't handle alone.
Tanjirou first met Giyuu after he tried to kill Nezuko who had just been turned into a demon. After seeing his determination Giyuu gives Tanjirou instructions to go to Urokodaki which leads him into the path of becoming a Demon Hunter.
While not trusting him at first, Tanjirou comes to respect Giyuu a lot later on. They are both students of Urokodaki and users of the Breath of Water Style.
Abilities and Powers
Enhanced Sense of Smell: Tanjirou has a heightened sense of smell even before he underwent sword training. It is strong enough for him to smell the 'line of interval'-- the slight pause in an enemy's movement-- and distinguish between species, as well as their approximate position. After training, he can smell emotions as well as track objects, humans and demons over long distances.
Fighting ability: This trait of Tanjirou's was pointed out by Giyuu Tomioka during their first encounter in which Tanjirou skillfully laid out a plan to attack Giyuu by surprise by charging towards him not showing he was unarmed and plan to have bring down Giyuu with an axe he had thrown in the air beforehand.
Enhanced strength: After training, Tanjirou gained immense strength and speed and has demonstrated great use of it (i.e.: Jumping over twice his height during the Final Selection arc when fighting the Demon who killed Urokodaki Sakonji's disciples.
Breath of Water Style (
- First Style: Water Surface Slice (
壱ノ 型 水 面 斬り Ichi no kata: Minamo giri?) - A single concentrated slash
- Second Style: Water Wheel (
弐ノ 型 水 車Ni no kata: Mizu guruma?) - Tanjirou jumps and spins his body while slashing.
- Third Style: Dance of the Rapid Current (
参ノ 型 流 流 舞い San no kata: Ryūryū mai?) - Tanjirou swings his blade at his opponent in a way that mimics the movement of waves on the surface of water.
- Fourth Style: Striking Tide (
肆ノ 型 打ち 潮Shi no kata: Uchishio?)
- Fifth Style: The Merciful Rain of a Dry Day (
伍ノ 型 干 天の 慈 雨Go no kata: Kanten no jiu?) - A "sword strike of kindness" that kills the target with little to no pain. Used when the enemy surrenders.
- Sixth Style: Twisting Whirpool (
陸ノ 型ねじれ 渦Roku no kata: Nejire uzu?) - Tanjirou fiercely twists his upper and lower body, which creates a whirpool that cuts anything caught in it.
- Seventh Style: Piercing Rain Drop - A fast and accurate stab. The fastest Breath of Water technique.
- Eight Style: Waterfall Jar (
捌ノ 型 滝 壷Hachi no kata: Takitsubo?) - Tanjirou cuts the target vertically.
- Ninth Style: Water Splash (
玖ノ 型 水 流 飛沫Ku no kata: Suiryū shibuki?)
- Tenth Style: The Dragon of Change (
拾ノ 型 生 生 流 転Jū no kata: Seisei ruten?) - A continuous attack that increases in power with each rotation, creating a strong slash.
- Waltz Flash - Tanjirou utilizes Zenitsu Agatsuma's "Thunderclap flash" and combines it with his "Flame Waltz" by pumping air through his entire body, focusing it on the legs, and releasing it all and ending with a flaming slash.
- Solar Halo Dragon Dance - A combination attack utilizing Nezuko's Blood Burst, Tanjirou's sword adopts a red color and is coated in flames. While in this state, he circles around the enemy in a pattern resembling a flaming dragon and slashes them multiple times and ultimately beheading them. He first used this on Urogi, Sekido, and Karaku.
Kamado, without the second kanji (竈, かまど) is a traditional Japanese wood or charcoal fueled cook stove/furnace.
Do, the second kanji of his family name, (門, ど) means door.
Tan (炭, たん) means charcoal.
Ji (治, じ) can mean 'to heal'.
Rou (郎, ろう) is a common Japanese name suffix for boys. It also means male.