Tanjirou has burgundy hair combed back and dark eyes with a scar on the top right of his forehead. He wears long rectangular earrings with a sun symbol and a checkered black and green pattern haori over the standard Demon Hunter uniform.
He carries around a wooden box where Nezuko sleeps during the day.
Tanjirou is kind by nature and has been described by others as having very gentle eyes. He has a great deal of determination and will not give up once he has a goal to achieve, an example being finding a cure for Nezuko. Even though he is relatively strong on his own, he isn't opposed to asking others for help when he needs it. He is very protective of his friends and even more so of his younger sister. His biggest attribute is his ability to empathize with anyone, even demons. This often gives him hesitation when killing demons.
Nezuko is the younger sister of Tanjirou, and the only remaining member of their family each other have left. As such Tanjirou who is usually calm and polite will become enraged and attack anybody who harms Nezuko. He is extremely protective of her but that doesn't prevent him from getting her help during battles that he can't handle alone.
Tanjirou first met Giyuu after he tried to kill Nezuko who had just been turned into a demon. After seeing his determination Giyuu gives Tanjirou instructions to go to Urokodaki which leads him into the path of becoming a Demon Hunter.
While not trusting him at first, Tanjirou comes to respect Giyuu a lot later on. They are both students of Urokodaki and users of the Breath of Water Style.
Abilities and Powers
Enhanced Sense of Smell: Tanjirou has a heightened sense of smell even before he underwent sword training. It is strong enough for him to smell the 'line of interval' and distinguish between species, as well as their approximate position. After training, he can smell emotions as well as track objects, humans and demons over long distances.
Fighting ability: Even before training he had a good sense of combat.
Enhanced strength: He gained tremendous strength and can jump large heights.
Breath of Water Style: Taught by Urokodaki Sakonji. The user can increase the amount of oxygen in one's blood by controlling his breathing pattern. This increases his strength and agility to equal a demon's. Tanjirou has now learned to do full focus breaths at all times, further increasing his base strength, speed, and stamina. With this enhanced strength and ability to find the 'line of interval,' Tanjirou can utilize ten different moves:
- First Style: Water Surface Slice - A single concentrated slash
- Second Style: Water Wheel - Tanjirou jumps and spins his body while slashing.
- Third Style: Dance of the Rapid Current - Tanjirou swings his blade at his opponent in a way that mimics the movement of waves on the surface of water.
- Fourth Style: Striking Tide
- Fifth Style: The Merciful Rain of a Dry Day - A "sword strike of kindness" that kills the target with little to no pain. Used when the enemy surrenders.
- Sixth Style: Twisting Whirpool - Tanjirou fiercely twists his upper and lower body, which creates a whirpool that cuts anything caught in it.
- Seventh Style: Piercing Rain Drop - A fast and accurate stab. The fastest Breath of Water technique.
- Eight Style: Waterfall Jar - Tanjirou cuts the target vertically.
- Ninth Style: Water Splash Chaos - Minimizes the landing time and surface needed when landing, allowing the user to move without limits. Ideal when fighting in a place with no solid foothold.
- Tenth Style: The Dragon of Change - A continuous attack that increases in power with each rotation, creating a strong slash.
Dance of the Fire God: Taught by Tanjirou's father. A breathing technique that increases the user's strength and endurance.
- Waltz - A single concentrated slash
Kamado, without the second kanji (竈, かまど) is a traditional Japanese wood or charcoal fueled cook stove/furnance.
Do, the second kanji of his family name, (門, ど) means door.
Tan (炭, たん) means charcoal.
Ji (治, じ) can mean 'to heal'.
Rou (郎, ろう) is a common Japanese name suffix for boys. It also means male.